1. A buyer’s premium will be added to the hammer price of each lot: The buyer’s premium is 20% of the final bid and 25% if you are bidding using one of our live bidding platforms.
2. All property is sold “as is”. Neither the auctioneer nor consignor makes any warranties or representations of any kind or are responsible for the correctness, nor deemed to have made any representation or warranty, description, genuineness, authorship, attribution, provenance, period, culture, source, origin, or condition of the property and no statement made at the sale, or in the bill of sale, or elsewhere shall be deemed such a warranty or representation or assumption of liability. Nadeau’s does not guarantee authorship or signatures of paintings.
3. The highest bidder as determined by the auctioneer shall be the purchaser. In the case of a disputed bid, the auctioneer shall have sole discretion in determining the purchaser.
4. All merchandise purchased must be paid for and removed from the premises the day of the auction, unless other arrangements have been made with our office. Nadeau’s is not responsible for any items left on our premises after the auction has ended. All merchandise remaining in our building after five (5) business days of the auction (without arrangements made with our office) will be charged a storage fee of $50.00 per item, per week, without exception. All storage fees must be paid in full before any items will be released.
5. Personal and Business checks will be acceptable only if credit has been established with Nadeau’s, or if a bank authorization has been received (on bank letterhead) guaranteeing a check. Nadeau’s reserves the right to hold merchandise purchased by check for ten business days to ensure that the check has cleared the bank, if such action is deemed necessary to protect its interest. Makers of bad checks will be charged a $25 processing fee and, if necessary, prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
6. All purchases are subject to the Connecticut 6.35% sales tax unless the purchaser possesses a sales tax exemption number or resale certificate. If you have a resale certificate, you must complete a Connecticut Sales & Use Tax Resale Certificate, prior to making payment, in order for tax to be removed from your invoice.
7. All paintings are measured by sight size and all measurements are given with the height preceding the width. Unless otherwise stated in the description, all pictures are framed. All weights and measurements are approximate.
8. The Auctioneer shall have sole discretion on when any item may be sold or re-sold at any time during or after any auction.
9. Nadeau’s Auction Gallery will not be responsible for failed or mis-executed bids.
10. Bidding on any article(s) indicates your acceptance of these terms.
11. Glossary of Terms for Artwork:
C. E. Porter
The work is, in our best judgment, by the named artist.
Attributed to C. E. Porter
In our opinion, on the basis of style, the work can be ascribed to the named artist but less certainty as to authorship is expressed than in the preceding category.
Studio of C. E. Porter
In our opinion, a work by an unknown hand in the studio of the artist, which may or may not have been executed under the artist’s direction.
Circle of C. E. Porter
In our opinion, a work by an as of yet unidentified but distinct hand closely associated with the named artist but not necessarily his pupil.
Style of or Follower of C. E. Porter
In our opinion, a work by a painter working in the artist’s style, contemporary or nearly contemporary, but not necessarily his pupil.
Manner of C. E. Porter
In our opinion, a work in the style of the artist and of a later date.
After C. E. Porter
In our opinion, a copy of a known work of the artist.
The term “signed and/or dated and/or inscribed” means that, in our opinion, a signature and/or date and/or inscription are from the hand of the artist.
The term “bears a signature and/or date and/or an inscription” means that, in our opinion, a signature and/or date and/or inscription have been added by another hand.
To view a printable version of the Conditions of Sale, click here.